- QuickBooks Forensics by Thegrideon Software is a unique tool for QuickBooks company files access, analysis, review, export and recovery as well as password replacement and recovery.
- QuickBooks Forensics is designed to provide full direct access to all data saved in QuickBooks database. It works with files directly without any external libraries or database engines!
- QB Forensics is also a Transaction Log (.TLG files) viewer.
- It works with most versions including the latest QuickBooks 2017 / 2018 (US, CA, UK, ...).
QuickBooks Forensics Features:
- Direct read-only access to QuickBooks company files:
- lists all database tables;
- table viewer is available for preliminary analysis;
- search for records in all or selected tables;
- protected records are decrypted automatically.
- tables can be exported as XML with XSD schema:
- export all or selected columns;
- bulk tables export;
- shows tables schema (columns names, types, sizes, etc.);
- internal Hex viewer is available for attached binary or large text blocks;
- precise timestamps are available for data analysis;
- reports can be saved as XML or CSV;
- per-user preferences and system settings are pre-loaded for review;
- SQL code viewer with syntax highlighting for procedures, views, events and triggers;
- Automatic 'SET HIDDEN' obfuscation decoding;
- Transaction Log (.TLG files) viewer.
- SQL Anywhere database UID & PWD Calculator (including new QB 2018 format).
- QBW company files can be extracted from QBB backups.
- External APPs records are loaded from '.qbw', '.lgb' and '.sdu' files.
- SQL scripts can be extracted from '.qbx' and '.qbm' archives.
- Lists file update history and last active users.
- Lists active and disabled accounts.
- Administrator password can be replaced instantly regardless of length or complexity.
- Several attacks can be configured and queued for user password recovery:
- brute-force attacks based on a charset and length selected;
- dictionary attacks with modifications:
- mixed attacks for precise search range setup:
- multi-position modifications to cover QuickBooks password complexity policy;
- highly optimized code (SSE, AVX, AVX2) guarantees peak performance;
- AMD, Nvidia and Intel GPUs can be used in Quickbooks 2018 password recovery;
- Most versions are supported including QB 2017 / 2018.
- Windows 7 - Windows 10.
Data Access, Analysis, Review, Export and Recovery
QuickBooks company files are based on SQL Anywhere database engine and any digital analysis is challenging due to the nature of database engine workflow: there are internal cleanups and optimizations (data pages are being moved, cleared or deleted); file is modified even prior to user login with database startup details and counters; there are number of SQL functions, events and triggers involved.
QuickBooks Forensics is designed to provide full direct read-only access to all tables (records) saved in QuickBooks '.qbw' files. It is based on reverse-engineering of database format and works with files directly without any database engines. Additional technical details are available for data analysis (for example precise timestamps are present in most tables). Data is not changed in any way and can be accessed or extracted repeatedly in contrast to standard access methods. It is the first tool to offer low-level data access to QuickBooks company files.
QB Forensics also searches and recovers old records / discarded data pages with old or lost data.
QB database tables can be previewed for preliminary analysis and / or exported as XML file with proper XSD schema to be used in MS Access, Excel, etc.
Search feature is available to look for specific records in all or selected tables.
User preferences, system settings, access history, Apps details and other parameters are pre-extracted and shows to simplify data review and analysis. Attached binary and text blocks of data can be previewed in internal Hex viewer or extracted for further analysis.
Company files and transaction logs can be extracted from '.QBB' backups as well.
QuickBooks '.TLG' files are database transaction logs (history of all actions executed by the database engine). The transaction log is a key component of backup and recovery. QuickBooks Forensics sorts log transactions based on tables affected, thus tables history can be tracked step by step.
Below we will publish notes on QuickBooks internals to help you better understand QuickBooks Forensics and data it can provide:
QuickBooks Internals | Security | Login
QuickBooks Internals | Security | Sensitive Data Keys
QuickBooks Internals | Security | Sensitive Data Bugs
QuickBooks Internals | Security | Apps and LGB files
QuickBooks Internals | Security | SQL and a Major Design Flaw
QuickBooks Internals | Security | QuickBooks 2017
Small subset of data is called "sensitive data records" and includes: CC numbers, SSNs, Tax IDs, SINs, company EIN and Bank accounts. It is encrypted with "sensitive data keys". QuickBooks Forensics can decrypt them automatically without any additional data using number of security flaws (QB 2016 upto R5 [up to May 2016] or with '.SDU' files in QB 2017 upto R4 [up to Jan 2017], ...). For patched versions there are number of ways to recover sensitive keys: enter known password or use password recovery for any company file user, export sensitive data keys from an old version (with recoverable keys, known passwords, ...) and import into current versions.
Password verification values can be replaced instantly in order to regain access to protected company files. Sensitive data encryption keys are usually recoverable, thus full data access can be restored. Even in worst case scenario (unrecoverable keys, all users with very complex passwords, no prior versions to export keys from, etc.) you still can replace QuickBooks "Admin" password and open company data file, but without access to credit card, tax and bank account numbers, if any are present.
Password search is an option for protected accounts and QuickBooks Forensics allows you to set several attacks in queue: dictionary, sequential based on a charset and length selected or as mixed combination of dictionaries, brute-force and fixed parts. You can split password in parts and set each part independently with precise search range setup. Additional modifications are available including unique keyboard layouts-aware recovery technique, char replacement (e.g. I or i with 1), etc. We did our best to enhance this tool performance as well as the recovery speed with some advanced methods and it found to be the fastest tool for QuickBooks password recovery.
What is password recovery speed?
Password recovery speed is variable depending on additional information recoverable from the file, username, etc.
The following table is based on several tests with the common laptop, workstation and tablet CPUs:
|Up to QB 2017 p/s:|
|QuickBooks 2018 p/s:|
|Intel® Core™2 Duo
T7500 @ 2.20GHz
Z3740 @ 1.33GHz
|Intel® Core™ i3
2100 @ 3.10GHz
|Intel® Core™ i3
4130 @ 3.40GHz
|1.5 - 13 millions||2 - 13 millions||5 - 25 millions||10 - 35 millions|
|4 500||5 700||9 000||20 000|
AMD, Nvidia and Intel GPUs for password recovery acceleration:
GPU support was added in QuickBooks Forensics to enhance performance in QuickBooks 2018 password recovery.
Simple integrated GPU like Intel HD Graphics 4400 can add around 7 000 passwords per second.
Entry-level NVIDIA GT 640 card adds more than 50 000 p/s to CPU recovery speed.
Popular mid-level AMD Radeon R9 270 card processes more than 300 000 p/s.
Several GPUs can be used in parallel to accelerate recovery even more.
Trial version allows you to view data from Tables with odd ID values. Export is enabled for tables "SYS..." or "ISYS..." only. Keys recovery status is available, but password replacement is disabled. You can also setup and test run any password search for 15 min per set.
QuickBooks Forensics License price is $99 USD.
After payment processing is completed, you will immediately receive your registration key by email. The key should be entered into the evaluation version available from this page.